On 21st September we visited the nearby village called Mokila where we took the task of teaching the students there the basic English alphabet. The divisions were made grade wise and along with my 4 other friends, we took charge of the 1st grade.
We were 5 of us and had to take care of approximately 30 kids so we quickly made divisions in order to make the teaching easier. THIS wasn't easy at all! The first problem which was the biggest problem- Language barrier. They spoke a tribal language which we couldn't decipher so it was not easy to teach them but this did not stop us from completing our task because we were determined to teach them what we had planned. It all began when we gave them a sheet to try and complete the alphabet tree, we wrote the alphabets on the board and asked them to repeat after us and write it down as they learnt the pronunciation. Some grasped it immediately while some did not understand it immediately and this became a challenge to us because they were not able to understand us nor were we able to understand what they said.
I think towards the end it was a great activity for us and for those amazing kids because not everyone has the opportunity to obtain the basic necessities of life and one of them is a good education and I think the school at Mokila is doing a great job in trying to give them a basic education and we must try to help them in their mission of spreading literacy.
At the same time I learnt a lot in this activity where I came to know that language is not always the need for communication, the will to learn something is the driving force in everyone's life. It made me feel happy when I could complete this task and help those children in getting a better education. It helped me realize the true meaning of helping someone and also that determination is the only way one can complete a task.
We were 5 of us and had to take care of approximately 30 kids so we quickly made divisions in order to make the teaching easier. THIS wasn't easy at all! The first problem which was the biggest problem- Language barrier. They spoke a tribal language which we couldn't decipher so it was not easy to teach them but this did not stop us from completing our task because we were determined to teach them what we had planned. It all began when we gave them a sheet to try and complete the alphabet tree, we wrote the alphabets on the board and asked them to repeat after us and write it down as they learnt the pronunciation. Some grasped it immediately while some did not understand it immediately and this became a challenge to us because they were not able to understand us nor were we able to understand what they said.
I think towards the end it was a great activity for us and for those amazing kids because not everyone has the opportunity to obtain the basic necessities of life and one of them is a good education and I think the school at Mokila is doing a great job in trying to give them a basic education and we must try to help them in their mission of spreading literacy.
At the same time I learnt a lot in this activity where I came to know that language is not always the need for communication, the will to learn something is the driving force in everyone's life. It made me feel happy when I could complete this task and help those children in getting a better education. It helped me realize the true meaning of helping someone and also that determination is the only way one can complete a task.
No comments:
Post a Comment